About the role
We are seeking a policy expert to help develop and craft Uber’s public policy strategy for privacy, data sharing and cybersecurity. In this role, you will connect and communicate the ways in which Uber collects, uses, and protects data with key public audiences, including policymakers, regulators, researchers, and consumer advocates worldwide. You’ll also be a thought partner for Uber’s Legal, Communications, Public Safety and Operational teams, helping drive consistency and thought leadership in our approach to data sharing and transparency.
You will track regulatory developments, trends and best practices around data sharing, working closely with local teams to respond and implement policy strategies, from submitting a persuasive position on a critical issue to convening experts to discuss key developments in data sharing, security, and broader data policy issues. You will possess outstanding abilities in driving internal alignment, balancing priorities, and consistently advocating for solutions that empower our users.
- Track and develop regulatory strategies in response to laws around the world related to data sharing, data access and privacy.
- Collaborate with cross-functional, global teams to develop and communicate Uber’s positions on data protection and access in regulatory submissions, meetings, and other external-facing engagements.
- Partner closely with our internal business teams to guide Uber’s positions on privacy-forward products and policies.
- Help craftUber’s policies on government access to data, including the annual publication of our Government Transparency Report, and work with experts and industry peers to promote the responsible sharing of mobility data.
- Represent Uber on issues of security, privacy, and data policy at public events and conferences. Facilitate events, roundtables, or research stimulating expert-level discussions that drive meaningful progress in these areas.
- 7+ years working directly or advising on privacy, security, or technology policy issues
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced degree (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of privacy, legislative and policy frameworks and in-house experience applying this knowledge with corporate policy, compliance, and legal teams.
- Outstanding ability to scope, design, prioritize, and implement cross-functional projects.
- Experience partnering with senior leaders and executives on high-impact projects and balancing multiple business and/or policy priorities.
- Ability to distill sophisticated, technical challenges and product issues into persuasive resources both internally and externally.
- A self starter who is highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
For San Francisco, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $148,000 per year - $164,000 per year. For Washington, DC-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $148,000 per year - $164,000 per year. For all US locations, you will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS)
Council for Court Excellence
Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America