The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated exclusively to finding permanent homes for the more than 140,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
With support from the director of business development & government relations, the manager will assist with creating communications materials and initiating, developing, and nurturing relationships with public and private leaders, influencers, elected officials and affinity groups in multiple states and jurisdictions to support scaling the Foundation’s signature program, Wendy’s Wonderful Kids (“WWK”).
- Assist with ongoing management and stewardship of existing relationships in states where scaling is currently underway
- Support coordination with state and county child welfare departments, government leaders and relevant organizations and agencies to help identify and structure partnerships related to scaling WWK
- Write, edit, and proofread communications materials to assist in expanding local engagement, education and advocacy through various approaches
- Work closely with the director on engaging key stakeholders to expand efforts to elevate WWK visibility and importance among state and national child welfare leaders
- Track and monitor the status of business development and government relations activities and outcomes by documenting the universe of individuals that DTFA will engage in each jurisdiction
- Analyze and collect information on child welfare policy, practice and funding trends that could impact DTFA scaling activities in the states
- Identify local/state/regional collaboration opportunities and networks to assist the director in building relationships to advance DTFA priorities and strategies
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to serve in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including comfort and experience with communicating with political, civic and organizational leaders, staff and other stakeholders, such as nonprofit leaders and community members; experience in child welfare or child welfare policy is a plus
- Proficient in developing, writing and editing advocacy and communications materials for meetings with external stakeholders, legislators, legislative staff and state and federal department leaders
- Experience in navigating relationships with multiple audiences, including legislative and government agency staff, coalitions and trade groups, nonprofits and cross-functional internal teams; successful experience in building and sustaining strong relationships with essential stakeholders and partners
- Strong analytical and computer skills, including ability to monitor, assess and report results, experience with CRM technology like Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or similar tools
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, self-directed, collaborative environment and manage multiple projects
- Proficient use of project management programs that aid internal communications (e.g., Asana)
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and goals while focusing on measurable outcomes
- Perceives organizational and political sensitivities and acts accordingly; ability to successfully work with diverse groups across political spectrum to forward DTFA’s scaling and advocacy efforts
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in business development, government relations, communications and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum 2 years’ experience in local, state or federal government desired
- Experience and proficiency in communications technologies such as Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or similar tools
- Some domestic travel required
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, religion, religious beliefs, political affiliation, creed, HIV/AIDS status, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, familial status, veteran/military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest or any other category protected by applicable law. Any employee who engages in such conduct is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.
Charlotte Lozier Institute
Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS)
ACLU of North Carolina
Unchained At Last