Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Senior Attorney to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The Senior Attorney will work in CLF’s Clean Air & Water (CAW) team and will be based in Boston, MA with some opportunity for remote and flexible work.
The Senior Attorney will work on litigation across program priorities, as well as promote solutions to the region’s biggest environmental challenges using policy tools. The work will focus on Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act enforcement cases, but lawsuits in federal court may include claims stemming from violations of other federal and state statutes and regulations. The goal is to protect communities and their local environments, especially historically disadvantaged ones, from contamination.
What you’ll do
· Devise and execute legal strategies for achieving CLF’s advocacy goals;
· Represent CLF and other parties in litigation and administrative proceedings;
· Negotiate civil penalties, injunctive relief, and fee and cost recovery;
· Advise CLF and community and advocacy groups on legal and policy matters;
· Lead program teams, supervise and mentor junior advocates and interns;
· Serve as a senior member of the team, acting as a lead on cases and as a resource to other team members;
· Build alliances and coalitions among parties that may include community groups, public officials, business interests, and other organizations;
- Write public educational materials, articles, opinion pieces and communicate about advocacy work through news and social media outlets;
- Contribute to the health of our organizational community and its smooth operation;
· Advise and assist CLF’s communications team in delivering advocacy news and key messages to the press, our members, and the public;
· Occasionally advise and assist CLF’s development team with fundraising efforts;
· Prepare research reports, memos, and presentations;
- Contribute to CLF’s strategic priorities and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and organizational excellence; and
· Other duties as specified.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter that is able to work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
· At least 7 years of relevant experience practicing law, particularly litigation;
· A passion for and commitment to the environment, public health, and/or social justice;
· Excellent analytical skills and the ability to put your analysis into writing that is easily understood;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills;
· Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
· Ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
· Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
· Commitment to working collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners;
- Passion for CLF’s mission;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- A law degree and active bar membership in good standing in any state (New England state is preferred).
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems, from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in statehouses, courthouses, boardrooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF frequently works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately from the impacts of environmental degradation. CLF is committed to representing New England’s diversity in our staff, volunteers, boards, and membership and creating a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The starting salary range for a Senior Attorney is $97,000 - $115,000. The actual salary will reflect experience and qualifications.
We recognize the value of work-life balance and also strive to create opportunities for growth for all employees through professional development.
To apply for this exciting position, click on the link below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials.
CLF considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with CLF are conditioned on the candidate complying with CLF’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Democratic Majority for Israel
ACT | The App Association
Madison Services Group