SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
JOB TITLE: Senior Communications Specialist - Together We Rise
GRADE: UUR III
ANNUAL SALARY: $82,672
LOCATION: All USA
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: We are the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), a union of about 2 million diverse members in healthcare, the public sector, and property services. We believe in and fight for our vision for a just society: where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where we come from or what color we are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come. We are an anti-racist union determined to check corporate power and uproot structural racism through unions—worker power and collective action—and government—legislative and political action. We fight for unions for all and a government that works for all so that all of us, across race and place, can have power together in unions and participate fully in our democracy.
PURPOSE: This position will act as part of the Together We Rise (TWR) communications team to support building SEIU’s member strength. The role supports local unions in developing messages and systems to recruit and engage new members, provides strategic communications capacity to TWR’s digital join-up operation, develops and executes member communications strategies and materials, and participates in multidisciplinary projects with other TWR team members.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.) Perform a wide range of duties as assigned by the International Union, including, but not limited to the following:
- Supporting local unions in creating or improving their new hire/new member communication programs;
- Supporting locals fighting for new or improved “union security” demands with their contract campaign communications;
- Supporting and/or leading joint projects with the TWR digital join-up team;
- Participating in or leading TWR project teams (conferences, webinars, etc);
- Conducting message research with local unions partnering on digital join-up;
- Managing member tracking poll vendor and project;
- Supporting locals in setting up membership and COPE forms online;
- Managing swag design and production for TWR;
- Creating local communication plans and materials on urgent campaigns as needed;
- Creating toolkits and messaging materials for member audiences as
DIRECTION & SUPERVISION: This position currently reports to the Assistant Director of Communications for Together We Rise and is “matrixed” between the Communications Department and TWR, meaning it works closely with and is accountable to both teams.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Priority given to candidates with real-world communications and organizing experience, regardless of formal education. Five or more years of work in communications, organizing, media relations, public affairs, political campaigns, and/or advocacy work. Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategy for advocacy campaigns. Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy organizations preferred.
- A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative, and work independently; must be able to work with union members, leaders, and staff in complex and sometimes political
- Must be able to handle multiple "priority" projects simultaneously and meet established
- Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and
- Ability to communicate effectively and forthrightly with coworkers, SEIU officers, local union leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Thorough knowledge of communication tools for education, advocacy, and audience-building.
- Familiarity with organizing, contract, and political campaign
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communication best practices.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is generally performed in an office (or home office) setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the work required to complete the assignment. Long and extended hours and travel will be required.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for either a) a certain medical condition(s); or b) on the basis of sincerely held strong religious beliefs and practices; c) as otherwise required by law.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Twelve months
Stand Up America