Asian nations are facing a massive choice about the future of their energy systems and ultimately their economies. Climate goals means they should opt to invest a significant amount of money in renewables infrastructure and green technology but they are also being encouraged by multinational corporations and energy producing states to further their investment in fossil fuels.
The role of finance in achieving net zero goals for countries and institutions will only grow. Not only do we need to see public finance evolve in the right direction, unleashing more funds to support vulnerable populations in the fight against climate change, but we should also see private finance stimulate markets to deliver more sustainable solutions in a responsible manner.
Against this backdrop, the Communications Associate, Asian Media will land major media coverage in business media in Asia. The ideal candidate should already have a sharp eye for a story, good contacts, an understanding of Asia’s diversity and some degree of professional experience in green finance centres in Asia such as Singapore or Hong Kong.
How you'll contribute
- Land significant media coverage on public and private finance of climate action in Asian media, in collaboration with network colleagues and partner organisations
- Provide media and communications strategy advice to partner organisations including supporting key spokespeople on climate finance with communications advice to help them better understand the media landscape in Asia;
- Track the important regional stories of financing the coal to clean energy transition, regulating corporate sustainability disclosure, utilising carbon markets to achieve net zero goals, and so forth;
- Engage in a wide-ranging network of local stakeholders, including those from policy, research, investor coalitions, and civil society, to develop relationships that can support media stories on accountability for climate action;
- Build an active editorial community of reporters and editors who are covering ESG, energy transition finance and sustainability regulations, through proactively sharing news briefings, newsletters, and story pitches;
- Analyse the trend and flow of investment in the fossil fuel energy sector to come up with evidence for communications strategies, landing significant coverage off the back of them.
Our ideal candidate has
- Previous work experience preferably in environmental or financial journalism, or in a media-facing communications role;
- Demonstrative experience landing major media coverage of business, finance, energy or climate stories;
- An understanding of different concepts like climate finance, sustainable finance, LNG and gas infrastructure, green finance, transition finance, heavy industry transition, hydrogen etc;
- Familiarity with the Asian media landscape and the value of strategic story placement in a geo-economic context;
- Excellent command of English and, ideally, skills in an Asian language (such as Mandarin and Japanese), both verbal and written, and the ability to communicate sophisticated topics in an easy-to-understand manner;
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers;
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across video conferencing, time zones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.
Why should you join us?
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
The Tax Council
Elevate Government Affairs, LLC
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund