Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb's Global Public Policy team exists to further the interests of our community of hosts and guests with elected officials, regulators, opinion leaders and others who shape the political and legal context for our business, helping them to understand the significant social and economic contributions of our platform.
Airbnb has long been an industry-leader in developing, promoting, and deploying innovative strategies that enable governments to implement fair, progressive home sharing rules. Worldwide, our team is engaged in local conversations and negotiations with governments big and small, at local, state, provincial and national levels.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are looking for a Global Policy Manager to support our Policy Innovation team. In this role, you will help craft model policies by leveraging Airbnb data and external sources to perform research into our business and the communities in which we operate. The Manager will track and analyze external research on short-term rentals, providing the Policy team and cross-functional partners with updates about the conclusions of this research and how it might shape policy in the future.
In addition, the Policy Manager will be responsible for coordinating internal forums to discuss policy issues and support efforts to improve knowledge management.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and engage with a variety of stakeholders– including local and state governments, academia, industry associations, and the media – in order to help them understand our business and the contributions of our community in order to win hearts and minds in support of Airbnb's growth and tourism as a whole.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb's mission and tourism, and have experience as a policy analyst/researcher in non-profit, government, or private sectors.
A Typical Day:
- Support Global Policy Innovation in executing the company's public policy strategy, concentrating primarily on the creation of innovative regulatory policies that advance the company's mission.
- Initiate and lead internal research in conjunction with Data Science.
- Draft memos summarizing internal and external research on short-term rentals, with a focus on conclusions and policy recommendations that could implicate our business.
- Build relationships with Airbnb's Regional Policy Teams in order to understand the regulatory environment worldwide and conduct research accordingly.
- Represent Airbnb at conferences hosted by academics, think tanks, and other credible organizations that perform research on short-term rentals, housing, land use, and other relevant subject areas. Highlight opportunities for collaboration with such groups.
- Develop external facing documents, such as feedback on regulatory proposals, industry position papers, or communications (press) outreach, in sometimes short windows of time.
- At least 6+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage, but not a requirement).
- Policy development experience, preferably in one or more of the following fields: housing, land use, tax, economic development.
- Writing of policy papers and legislative proposals, including potential to partner with our Communications Team on op-eds and other public-facing materials.
- A track record of developing data-driven work products. Facility with data software, such as Tableau and Superset, is a plus, but not required.
- Fluency with mapping software, such as ArcGIS, and/or other design software that allows us to tell our story visually is an advantage, but not a requirement.
- An ability to work independently as well as a team player in a cross-functional work environment while producing the highest caliber work product in a timely manner.
- Extremely creative; takes an entrepreneurial approach to the work.
- An eye for detail - with an ability to very quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the general public.
- Proficiency in the use of online collaboration and productivity tools (G-Suite).
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you're applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Mother Cabrini Health Foundation
Supervisor Lindsey P. Horvath, Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors