Director, Strategic Communications and Media Relations
Reports To: CEO
Position Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: New York, NY or Washington, D.C. preferred (New York staff are currently working in person one to three days per week; Washington, D.C. staff work remotely five days per week)
Israel Policy Forum is an educational and policy organization working to shape the discourse and mobilize support among American Jewish leaders and U.S. policymakers for the realization of a viable two-state outcome consistent with Israel's security. We do this by educating political and communal leaders on pragmatic policy ideas to improve Israel’s security while maintaining conditions for an eventual two-state outcome, and by building consensus in the policy and Jewish communities for these visions and goals. We envision a secure, Jewish, and democratic Israel and support a strong and enduring U.S.-Israel relationship.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director, Strategic Communications and Media Relations (DSC) will lead efforts to raise the visibility and profile of Israel Policy Forum, its mission, research and analysis, young professional and community education programs, and leadership in traditional and new media platforms. Working in close partnership with the Director of Content and Marketing, and with support from other members of the communications department, the DSC will develop and implement strategies to elevate awareness of Israel Policy Forum, its policy experts, key staff and lay leaders, resources, and programs among journalists and other target audiences within the policy and Jewish communities.
- Envision and implement a strategic communications and media strategy to elevate coverage of the organization and its work by building relationships with members of the press and key media influencers to elevate the impact and profile of IPF’s organizational research, analysis, programs, and projects.
- Develop external messaging and promote compelling narratives about Israel Policy Forum, its work, and spokespeople that build on Israel Policy Forum’s reputation as thoughtful, influential, and impactful.
- Media relations
- Generate media coverage of Israel Policy Forum via op-eds in news outlets and quotes by Israel Policy Forum representatives in news articles.
- Build deep and trusting relationships with key reporters, editors, and bookers covering core organizational issues and broaden the scope of journalists engaged with IPF’s work across print, digital, television, radio, and other media.
- Respond to media inquiries, compile press kits, and promote IPF events among journalists.
- Track media mentions and coverage and evaluate effectiveness of campaigns.
- Craft timely, effective content promoting the organization’s messages, such as statements and op-eds in response to news developments and regarding organizational programs and initiatives.
- Prepare social media posts on behalf of the organization and its key spokespeople (in collaboration with the Policy and Communications Associate).
- Serve as a cross-functional partner to IPF staff:
- Work with all staff, including members of a geographically distributed team, to ensure consistent messaging and that key initiatives are promoted in a consistent, timely, and impactful manner.
- In particular, work closely with the Director of Content and Marketing, who is responsible for the creation and distribution of cross-platform policy and organizational video content; production of all print and digital communications; overseeing the maintenance and improvement of IPF’s website; and preparation and distribution of all weekly email campaigns and newsletters, quarterly donor communications, and other publications as they develop.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- A minimum of five years of relevant communications experience with progressive responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Experience in public relations, strategic communications, writing and placing op-eds, quotes, background briefings, etc.
- Demonstrated success in expanding media exposure and effectively pitching and placing items of interest leading to furthering an organization’s mission.
- Fluency with social media platforms.
- Outstanding time management skills with an ability to be responsive to revisions and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to execute short-term, deadline-driven daily tasks, as well as to manage multiple long-term projects requiring input from and collaboration with others.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to edit, proofread, and ensure the accuracy of finished work products.
- Ability to take initiative, be resourceful, and exhibit a problem-solving mindset, and a desire to learn new skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a variety of cross-functional departments.
- Substantive knowledge of Israel and the Middle East and current events, and familiarity with the institutional Jewish community and U.S.-Israel relations.
- Commitment to Israel Policy Forum’s mission and the vision of a secure, Jewish, democratic Israel.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The annual salary range is $95,000 - $105,000 commensurate with experience. Israel Policy Forum offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off (vacation, sick leave, Jewish and secular holidays), medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), HRA, FSA, and professional development.
Israel Policy Forum is based in New York, NY. New York staff are currently working in person one to three days per week. Washington, D.C. staff work remotely five days per week.
Israel Policy Forum employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19, with consideration given for medical and religious accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 1-2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Strategic Communications and Media Relations” in the subject line. The position will be open until filled, and candidates invited for an interview will be contacted on a rolling basis. (Only candidates invited to interview will be contacted.)
Israel Policy Forum is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Israel Policy Forum encourages you to break that statistic and to apply.
Private Equity Stakeholder Project
Planned Parenthood SE